Re: Xenon bulbs

From: W. Jack Hilton III (HEMI@charter.net)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 22:28:23 EDT

>I have them and like them. If you go that route, get the higher powered
>versions.

May not be a good idea. If your lights are designed with a standard
wattage, and you run a high-wattage bulb, which can be typically twice as
much, then you are #1 drawing twice as much amperage through the circuit,
which can cause premature electrical problems. Also, when running twice as
much wattage, you produce twice as much heat. You have to remember that
these headlight housings are made of plastic, and while it might be OK,
there is a chance of a cracking, or a weakening of the lense or other
failure in the plastics.

> Bluer light has a tendency to look dimmer to the human eye and
>since these are simply a substitute for HID bulbs, you'll want the added
>umph.

You are correct about that, that is why Xenon-charged bulbs, and HID
systems, actually should try and approach a true-White light. The whiter
they get, they have a tendancy to give the perception of a slight blue.
Stay away from any bulb that is too blue or has a blue tint. The reason is
because they are illegal, and with reason. As you noted, blue is less
reflective, probably the least reflective of all colors in the spectrum.
That is why they are illegal. Blue will not reflect off of water, snow, or
ice.

> They want to sell them to you as 100/130W when in reality they are
>80/100W pieces. Haven't had them long enough to run them in wet weather
>which is what I'm really wondering about.

Be careful when using these in any inclimate weatherfor the reasons above.

>Bob

W. Jack Hilton III

Newnan , GA

HEMI@charter.net