Re: Re: BEST INTAKE for a GEN II sixer

From: Jon (jon@twistedbits.net)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 15:10:25 EDT

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, Kyle Kozubal wrote:
> > Kyle, interesting idea...I'm curious if a Gen-III V6 tb hat will bolt into
> > Gen-II tb, allowing for a cone-style setup. BTW, I called K&N and the only
> > products for a '96 are part#571501 (104.95 at Summit) which is a
> > chrome-plated 360 open element hat, or the drop-in, which is why I want to
> > know if anyone has found or made any cone-style setup?!?
[...]
> If the GenIII air hat will fit on out GenII Dakotas, I think the cone filter
> setup is the way to go. Just to have to them either buy a smooth pipe from
> someone, like QuickD, and hope it fits lengthwise or fab up your own PVC
> pipe homebew kit. The only thing we might have to work around is the valve
> cover breather hose which runs from the driver's side valve cover to a
> fitting on the air filter housing. I am sure this would just be as simple as
> drilling an appropriate sized hole the the GenIII air hat(if it does indeed
> fit) and swapping the fitting over and snapping it in the the air hat. I am
> going to call around to see how much these GenIII air hats are going for.
[...]

  Absolutely, the Gen II air hat will fit; both trucks use the same TB.
The only real issue in fabbing up a cone setup as I see it is engine bay
clearance and you may also want a bracket to support the end of the cone
if you don't go all the way to the grill. (Just so the cone and tube
doesn't act like a big lever and keep pulling at the air hat all the time.)
As far as clearance goes, GenII trucks have a lot more engine bay room than a
GenIII.

  I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

TTYL!

                                              -Jon-

  .---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ------.
  | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'