Re: Re: BEST INTAKE for a GEN II sixer

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 14:07:06 EDT

> Kyle, interesting idea...I'm curious if a Gen-III V6 tb hat will bolt into
> Gen-II tb, allowing for a cone-style setup. BTW, I called K&N and the only
> products for a '96 are part#571501 (104.95 at Summit) which is a
> chrome-plated 360 open element hat, or the drop-in, which is why I want to
> know if anyone has found or made any cone-style setup?!?
>
> GEN III PEOPLE-PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A GEN II TRUCK!!!&@&!! the parts are
NOT
> the same!!
>
> I sent an e-mail to Tony at quick-D, see if he has any insight on the TB
hat.

Dave,
This post might be long, but bear with me. Let's seriously work through this
and see, cause I am sure we both could benefit from it if the GenIII air hat
will fit. It might be faster to just call Tony. He is extremely easy to get
ahold of, as I called him many times when trying to figure out what style
throttle body I had when he made me a 'custom QuickD TB'. Very nice guy and
more than willing to talk and bs. Unfortunately, I cant find his number
anywhere. Anyone know it???????

The current setup I have works and all and I am sure it flows better than
the stock setup, just think I can also do some improvements. You can see the
dual cold air ducts I have fabbed up at:
http://www.bastaards.org/Kyle.htm
The added airflow may be there, but I just dont think the Amsoil 2Stage
Hi-Flo filter can keep up with the added airflow. If my numbers are right, a
6" cone filter will flow 787.7 CFM and a 8" cone filter will flow 833.1 CFM.
A typical drop in(about 10"x2") can only flow somewhere in the area of
360ish. Maybe it is time for a GOOD cold air intake kit capable of flowing
more CFM for my QuickD TB to inhale. Also Dave, save up some cash and buy a
QuickD TB from Tony!
See with GenIII trucks, the air hat comes off of the TB and out to a round
tube, and this tube is really what gets replaced with a smooth
pipe..........along with adding a cone type filter setup at the end. GenIII
owners can easily make their own intake kits from buying a cone filter from
Summit and fabbing up the smooth pipe using PVC pipe found at Home Depot and
then just connecting it to the stock air hat with some rubber sleeves and
some stainless clamps. For us GenII Dakota owners, our stock air filter
assembly comes out to a rectangular looking assembly and then turns into a
round 3"-4" duct, which isnt all that smooth! It does however to the grill,
so it does pull cold air from the grill and not hot air from the engine bay.
Let us know what Tony says concerning the stock air hat..........hell if it
will work I am off to the junk yard to find one!!!! I copied this from a
post I found in the DML archives:

Stock paper filter: 71.875 Square inches (355.78 CFM)
K&N Drop in filter: 71.875 Square inches. (433.40 CFM)
10" K&N 2" tall: 62.8 Square inches (378.84 CFM)
10" K&N 2 1/2" tall: 78.5 Square inches (473.35 CFM)
10" K&N 2 3/4" tall: 86.35 Square inches (520.69 CFM)
10" K&N 3" tall: 94.2 Square inches (555.97 CFM)
14" K&N 2 1/2" tall: 109.9 Square inches (662.7 CFM)
14" K&N 2 3/4" tall: 120.89 Square inches (728.96 CFM)
14" K&N 3" tall (needs mod to rad hose to fit):131.88 Square inches (795.23)
6" cone (The one I have) 103.63 Square inches (787.7 CFM)
8" cone (I will buy if the need arises) 138.16 Square inches (833.1 CFM)

I also found this in the archives, I think Bernd posted it:
10" x 2" Round = 377 CFM (Way too small)
10" x 3" Round = 565 CFM (V6...maybe)
14" x 3" Round = 791 CFM (Perfect)
5" x 7" Cone = 527 CFM (V6...maybe)
6" x 9" Cone = 1017 CFM (Oh yeah BABY!)

Taken from the Jeg's catalog:
K&N universal round tapered air filters feature a 3" or 3-1/2" ID center
mounting flange.
K&N 3" ID, 4-5/8"-6"x9"L; $48.99
K&N 3.5" ID, 3.5"-4-5/8"x7"; $33.99

If the GenIII air hat will fit on out GenII Dakotas, I think the cone filter
setup is the way to go. Just to have to them either buy a smooth pipe from
someone, like QuickD, and hope it fits lengthwise or fab up your own PVC
pipe homebew kit. The only thing we might have to work around is the valve
cover breather hose which runs from the driver's side valve cover to a
fitting on the air filter housing. I am sure this would just be as simple as
drilling an appropriate sized hole the the GenIII air hat(if it does indeed
fit) and swapping the fitting over and snapping it in the the air hat. I am
going to call around to see how much these GenIII air hats are going for.

However, we might be able to pass this up. Ok picture this:
-Leave the stock round GenII metal housing in place
-Take the 'drop-in' air filter out and put the lid back on
-Take all the plastic air duct work off, from the grill area to the metal
filter housing
-Remove the 'adapter' piece which mates the round duct to the rectangle
housing
-Find some PVC pipe and 45 degree elbows(or whatever degree) which will fit
and mate up to the round portion
-Remount the 'rectangle-to-round adapter' piece connect the newly made
SMOOTH pipe setup
-Mount a cone filter of your choice as close as possible to the cold air
intake air
-Possibly fab up some mount to make the kit sturdy
Whatcha think? Yes/No? Man......I need to stop thinking!!!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6