Poboy Intake; Pipe/Tubing

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sat Aug 26 2000 - 16:26:41 EDT

Ok, what would be the best 'bang-for-my-buck' as far as pipe is concerned? I
am aware of the black/white ABS plastic sewer pipe route. I am concerned of
the heat and melting properties of this plastic pipe though. I was at Home
Depot today, and they do sell insulated tubing which might help to reflect
heat and help to contain the cold air better. This basically looks like a
thin piece of insulation, maybe 3/8" thick with shiny foil on the entire
outside of the tube. Hopefully, I would be able to slide this insulated
tubing over the plastic tubing, if I do go this route. Does the plastic
sewer pipe flow as good or less compared to a smooth bent piece of pipe??

I am also looking at thin walled aluminum pipe, which would probably conduct
heat but also be able to cool off faster than steel. I am not sure though if
exhaust shops would be able to bend thin walled tubing without damaging the
pipe, can they? I have several shops in my area which are able to bend pipe
upto 4" thick, I am just concerned about the aluminum being able to take the
bend, being thin walled.

The last thing, which for some reason I really like. I saw at Home Depot in
their plumbing and tubing section a rather large variety of smooth yet
flexible tubing, some clear, some reinforced with an internal mesh, and some
colored. I guess the tubing is meant for drainage uses and such. They did
have large diameter sizes also, and are sold by the foot. I just thought
this tubing could create a ultra-smooth pathway for the cold air coming into
the air hat. Maybe, or maybe not? Once again, I am concerned with the
melting possibilities.

I am also considering using DEI Cool Wrap Tape, which Summit sells. "It's 40
percent lighter and reflects 30 percent more heat than other tapes. It has a
smooth finish and strong adhesive backing." A 1 1/2 in. wide 15 ft. roll
sells for $13.69. Someone used this tape on this list and found it to
perform rather well. Four Wheeler also used it on their 454 Dually when
trying to keep the heat from the engine bay from heating up the cold air
coming through the intake tube. They had good results also. I think this
would look better than the Home Depot reflective looking insulation tubing
also.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6