Re: Poboy Intake; Pipe/Tubing

From: MALDBNSF@aol.com
Date: Sat Aug 26 2000 - 18:34:05 EDT

<< Ok, what would be the best 'bang-for-my-buck' as far as pipe is concerned?

am aware of the black/white ABS plastic sewer pipe route. I am concerned of

the heat and melting properties of this plastic pipe though.>>

 I drive around Fort Worth, TX all day in 110 deg. heat with no melt down at
all.

 <<I was at Home Depot today, and they do sell insulated tubing which might
help to reflect heat and help to contain the cold air better. This basically
looks like a thin piece of insulation, maybe 3/8" thick with shiny foil on
the entire outside of the tube. Hopefully, I would be able to slide this
insulated tubing over the plastic tubing, if I do go this route. Does the
plastic sewer pipe flow as good or less compared to a smooth bent piece of
pipe??>>

Carefully cut and fit the "Sewer Pipe" I feel it will flow just as well as a
piece of pipe. Keep in mind that the PVC pipe will pass MUCH less heat then a
thin walled aluminum pipe. I used foam back aluminum tape and then a layer of
just aluminum tape for a smother look. Once up to hiway speeds the air coming
into the TB has as 3-4 deg. rise from the outside air. Yes, I did measure
this. I don't have the rest of the tread in front of me but if you have a
4.7L with that square Hat I think by removing that hat the air flow around
the motor would only increase.

Thanks,
Don Mallett
Fort Worth, TX
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/maldbnsf/">www.geocities.com/maldbnsf</A>
'00 QC 4x2 SLT+, 4.7L, 3.55 rear, 4 speed auto, H/D Service Group, K&N home
brew air filter w/ Cool-rap, Cat back Flow-Pro Dual System, Mobil 1 Oil &
Gear lub., Oil cooler, 180 T-stat, Tonneau cover, Autolite 3923 plugs,
Cool-rap of the A/C Pipes, Radiator Bug Screen.