Re: Tired of getting slammed-kinda long

From: Jon (jon@twistedbits.net)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 10:25:34 EDT

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Greig, Doug wrote:

> Well guy's. I just need to blow off some steam and get some advice. Ever
> since joining the DML, I have gotten the performance "itch". Never before
> have I had such an interest in increasing the performance of my engine and
> the vehicles off road capabilities. My problem is the people I work with,
> and let me give you hint why. If you look out in the rear parking lot, it
> looks like a new Ford dealership. Nothing but brand new F-150's, a new F-350
> Super Duty, and my little V6 Dakota. Everyday I get slammed about when I'm
> going to buy a real truck, that I need to stop screwing around with that
> wimpy engine before I blow it up, and hear comments like "hey, do you want
> to park under my truck when it rains?" and " hey, can I use your truck as a
> step ladder to get into my truck? HAHAHAHA". I'm REALLY starting to get sick
> of it. And now, they've even got me second guessing what I'm doing for mods.
> So far, I haven't gone into the engine. I've just done all bolt-on mods. You
> know, stuff like TB, cold-air intake, plugs, wires, etc. and everyday I have
> to hear about how what I'm doing is actually hurting my engine more than
> helping it. Is this true? I can't really believe it is, but you know, you
> hear the same thing day after day, you start wondering what's going on.
> Anyway, sorry to ramble, but I just returned from another morning of getting
> slammed for a half hour. You see, the reason I even listen is, one guy just
> left a local dealership as a mechanic, and the other guy has a business of
> building 4X4's for other people (everything from Toyota's to Ford
> F350's(yes, he's the owner of the 2K Super Duty)), so I feel they do have
> some credibilty. So, let me now guy's, am I doing the right thing or wasting
> my time.

  Doug,

  Those guys are idiots. What do you expect from Phord people?
One of the most capable offroad vehicles that I have personally
encountered is Jason Bleazard's '95 V6 4x4. The only mods are
an open element air cleaner and TSL super swampers. I'd put
that truck up against any of those morons any day.

  If offroading is your thing, get yourself some aggresive tires
(if need be) and call 'em out. If they aren't interested, you
can harrass them day and night about being too insecure about
being beaten by a V6. :-) If they do come out, they'll get
a look at just how capable it really is. Or, just challenge
'em to a friendly drag race if that is their thing. If you're
not as quick as they are, you shouldn't be far behind. If they
still can't see the light, then they truly are beyond help and
you should just write off their banter as the blatherings of
ignorami. ;-) (Heck, you should probably do that anyway.) ;-)

 As far as the mods go, the stuff you have done can only help your
engine. Cold air is good, plugs and wires can only help (practically
a tune-up item), and the TB allows more air to enter the engine.
All good things. You might want to ask them to explain exactly
why your mods will hurt your engine, then be prepared to spend
the next 15 minutes rolling around on the floor laughing. (And
every time you see them for the remainder of the day, point at
them and break into uncontrollable laughter.) ;-)

  Anyway, if nothing else, rest assured that they have NO idea
what they are talking about.

                                              -Jon-

  .---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ------.
  | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'