Another Rant from Me [cool story/oil breather/spank]

From: Sean Bruckman (bruckman@urisp.com)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 13:19:04 EDT

Well, here I go again... i'm gonna comment on what you guys have been
talking about and b1+ch a little too... (just wait for my website... whoops!
i was gonna keep that a secret)

First of all i come back to work after being sick and i read someone saying
that, "the ram is gettin slaughtered in power by Chevy and ford is doin
better too." So i got sick again. Let me be the first one to say, "You don't
know what you are talking about and you are wrong." Listen to a guy who has
friends cool enough to take a thick chain and tie together a brand new
extended cab, loaded, 6.0L V-8, Z-71 to a '99 Ram 2500, extended cab,
loaded, 8.0L V-10 4x4. Both of these guys take good care of their trucks and
know how to drive them (the Chevy guy hates the performance from his). Now,
it may not seem like such a surprise that the Ram was able to drag it around
the parking lot... but it is hard for many people to conceive the idea that
the Ram was able to not only overpower it and jerk it backward instantly,
but to pop it completely off the ground and backward in a big hop like it
was a little toy or something. The best way to describe it is this enormous
truck just looked like a little toy being jerked around by the bad black
dodge. Don't tell me that cheby has better engines... they don't. I'm sure
the type of person that believes that, also is impressed by Chevy
commercials that say "the most powerful, largest V-8 in it's class." Oh,
good for you, you have a 6.0L instead of a 5.9L. I don't want to hear it!
And i sure as shi+ don't want to hear a ford commercial that says the
exploder is anywhere near a competitor with the Jeep GC. Look! The
commercial says it's $2k less than the GC! And it's only ugly as sin
compared to the gorgeous GC, features self-shredding tires, has miniscule
off-road capability compared to the GC's Quadra-Trac II that is considered
one of the best if not the best 4x4 systems in the world, and additionally
the only accolade the Ford Exploder has is it's the best-selling POS in the
SUV market. Awesome! So, i can see myself coming and going; instead of
driving a 4x4 that has excellent road manners, a sweet 4.7L V-8, and is
garageable despite being considered by respectable offroad magazines to far
exceed the AMG(M) Hummer in all categories except being bulletproof in less
areas!

ARRGggg! So, anyway.

I also wanted to say that i found the oil breather hose disconnected from my
airbox when i was putting my k&n on. When i had that setup i bought one of
those chrome-topped with silver mesh oil breather things that's supposed to
plug into a valve cover or something like I've seen in some engine building
mags along with some kind of hose male-male connector (with the ribs that
get smaller toward the ends... plugged one end of the connector in the hose
and one end in the inside part of the breather (the breather has a rubber
thing that you are supposed to push in so the outside makes the seal, but my
way worked).

I almost forgot! My current setup is a '00 RC 4.7L 4x2 Auto with only a
hotchkis kit and a exhaust dump in front of the passenger side rear tire
right off the cat. Stock intake again, etc. When i was leaving work the
other day i was at the very beginning of a road affectionately called the
"9-mile stretch" because it is just that, a 9-mile stretch of
lightly-traveled, smoothly-paved wide highway with rolling country hills
that is straight as an arrow. With my current setup my truck has a
ferocious throttle-blip growl that i like to scare people with when i'm
idling in traffic and need (want) to scoot about a car length ahead
instantly. Well i'm waiting for a bunch of traffic to turn left and when
they finally get out of the way i let loose from a rolling start up to about
40 in a 30 zone right past the people waiting at a stop trying to turn on
the road i'm on. In that line of people i see a decent looking, last gen,
V-8, big-winged red Camaro convertible with what i assume is a punk kid in
it. Well, apparently my hood-hopping, small-child scaring goose of the
throttle got him ready to race because i saw him pass a bunch of people to
get right behind me. We proceeded to pass a few slower cars and get
completely out of town, at this time i still didn't realize he was really
ready to go, but i was laughing because he was and older guy with a beard
and he was doing that wiggling right to left in his lane in one gear too
low -thing like he's driving a lamborghini or something. (i do it too) So i
put him to the test real quick, blow by a few people up to about 80 and i
look back and he is right on my a$$! Well, we are cruising along going from
85-105 when we get stuck at the first of two hills behind a car going 70...
there is a small passing zone in between the hills so i take the first
opportunity and punch it... from 70-110 in a few seconds and my baby is
screaming! it was great. i look back and he had passed too, but i had gained
4-6 car lengths on him! i kept her at half pedal up a little past 110 and
he was still trying to catch up, i couldn't believe it! when we got to the
T at the end of the road we were the only ones there so we were able to talk
since i was riding with the windows open and he had his top down. (we both
had tons of drag) He complimented me on the truck, i told him he won
because it seemed like he kept up so easy and he said, "no, you won" I also
asked if he had modified the engine and he said the classic line, "A little
bit." I can only assume that i really did beat him from 70-110!

Go 4.7-top-end-with-no-muffler!

Sean Bruckman