Re: Front locker?

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 17:33:59 EDT

> I always thought that adding a front locker to a newer Dak was a
> no-no, due to the fact that our front axle doesn't disengage from the
> wheels when the transfer case is switched to 2wd. (Yeah, I know they
> used a vacuum disconnect system for a while, that's why I said
> newer.)
>
> What's making me wonder is something I just noticed on Powertrax's
> web site (http://www.powertrax.com). They finally got around to
> putting some real info on their site. I was looking at the
> application info for their No-slip locker with part numbers, it lists
> all of the standard rear axles I would expect, and they split it into
> "truck & SUV" or "performance vehicle."
>
> Then I notice that they have "to be available" under the truck
> application for the Chrysler 7.25" Nothing mentioned for
> "performance" vehicles, by which I assume they mean muscle cars
> (someone should tell them that trucks *are* performance vehicles, but
> I digress...)
>
> Now, the only truck I know of which uses a Chrysler 7.25" axle is the
> front axle in genII 4x4 Daks. If they're going to all the trouble of
> developing a locker for this axle in truck applications, surely they
> must bother to test it, right? Which means surely they've discovered
> that this axle is a front axle for a genII Dak, right? Which means
> they've put a locker in the front of a Dak, doesn't it?

Jason,
According to Six States they 7.25 axle is listed for Dodge Dakotas, Jeep
Cherokee & Wagoneer, and 'various cars'.
http://6states.com/products/axles/chr7_25.htm
Added 7.25 info at: http://www.drivetrain.com/chrysler7.5.html

If we could get a front locker or even a LSD in the front axle, that would
be purely awesome. I think the front axle is better than no axle, but I
think Dodge could have stuck a larger diff up front. I mean I just have the
plain ole normal Sure Grip in the rear diff, and I am sure once again it is
better than having an open diff, but I am sure I could do alot better with
an aftermarket lsd in the rear diff. This Sure Grip has done its job though,
and I really cant complain about it. So far my truck has truely impressed
me with its offroad capability, but a front traction device.........oh yeah!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6