Re: Seeking ignition advice

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 17:21:06 EDT

> I'm planning on putting an MSD system on it at some point, but that's
> at least a year or more away. I've done some searching through the
> archives, and this is what I'm thinking:
>
> - Autolite copper plugs
> - MSD Super Conductor wires
> if I'm replacing wires I figure I might as well get a set
> that will work with the MSD when I eventually get it
> - Accel Super Coil
> - brass distributor cap & rotor
> (future -- I just replaced these with standard OEM parts,
> I'll get a little use out of those first)
>
> My questions:
> 1. Will I get any benefit out of the Accel coil without the MSD, or
> should I wait until the MSD goes in and keep the stock coil for now?
>
> 2. I understand that the 3923 Autolites are the plug of choice, does
> this still apply to a stock engine that isn't used for racing?
>
> 3. Stock plug gap for '95 was 0.035. With the MSD wires and Accel
> coil, can / should I open that up a bit?

Jason,
Like you, I dont care about blazin down the highway at crazy speeds, nor
gaining super high RPM numbers. I just wanted better low end and overall
improved power under 2500 rpms. I didnt notice really any changes when I
first installed the Accel Super Coil; this coil was my first ignition
upgrade part. I ran Champion Truck Plugs and Bosch Platinum +4s(SUCK!) and
even though they ran ok, the Autolites without a doubt makes my truck run
its best, with the MSD Ignition hooked up and even when I ocassionally
unhook it and run the 'stock' ignition. For the price also, you can go
wrong. I think the Truck Plugs were like $6 for a two pack, the Autolites
ran me about $6-$7 for all 6 plugs. If you do get the Accel Coil, due to its
increases power capabilities, yes you can and should open up the gap a bit.
I currently have the MSD 8.5MM Super Conductors and simply love them, I
believe you will be impressed with them also. I currently am running these
ignitions mods on my 93 4x4 V6:
-MSD 6-Offroad Ignition; PN#6470
-MSD Universal Wiring Harness; PN#8873
-MSD Noise Filter; PN#8830
-MSD 8.5MM Super Conductor Wires; PN#32189(94-97 V8 Rams)
-Accel Super Coil; PN#140021
-Borg Warner Select Brass Distributor Cap
-Borg Warner Select Rotor
-Autolite Copper Spark Plugs; gapped at .050
-Plenty of Permatex Dielectric Grease!

Let me know if you have any questions at all. Remember, the MSD Ignition
does eat up the cap/rotor a bit faster, typically needing replacement in
7,000-10,000 miles. If you truck is like mine though, it only takes 10
minutes to swap in a new cap/rotor and only costs $12 for both parts.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6; 127,800 miles