2K 4.7 Check Engine Light

From: Tim J Koth (Tim.J.Koth@aexp.com)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 22:01:35 EDT

        Well my check engine light came on this morning about 200 yds after I
left from filling up at a Texaco station. At first I figured that it was due
to me not getting the gas cap on tight. I have re-seated it several times. It
went off for a while the first time but now just stays on. I went through the
procedure to pull any codes, held in the trip/odometer button while turned
ignition on. It went through the check procedure but didn't display any codes.
Do I need to keep holding in the button the whole time? Or just until the
check sequence starts? Also, I noticed when I pulled in the garage this
evening I had the rotten egg smell. Of which I've never smelled from this
beast before. Is my cat toast?? It's a 2000 4.7 CC 4x4 5 speed w/8000 miles.
I have a po-boy on it. Should I put the stock filter crap all back on before I
take it in?? Whats the consensus? Thanks for any help.