Re: Torque VS Horse power

From: TONY VIVIANO (tonyviviano@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 08:10:05 EDT

Torque is really the number describes the accelleration. Hp is a number
derived from torque * engine rpm. hp= torque*rpm/5252. Hp gives you a idea
how long the torque stays useable in the rev band. The fact that your
engine peak hp is less than the torque and at only 4750 rpm means that the
torque band does not stay in very long, which means that it probally not a
good race motor but more of a truck motor geared toward pulling instead of
high rpm racing. Truck motors are designed to provide good torque down low
so you can pull a trailer or other load. Look at a race motor and the torque
will com in at maybe 3500 to 4000 rpm and and hp will peak at a higher
number and be at a rpm that is 6000-8000 rpm. The true measure of a engines
performance is the amount of torque it makes across its entire operating
range. I hope this helps.