Painting Plastic 101

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 00:37:11 EDT

Well after searching and calling nearly every plumbling supply store in my
area, I find no one carries black ABS sewer pipe. So I am stuck with white
PVC pipe. I do not want white PVC under my hood, thus I need to paint it. I
assume the surface has to be oil and dirt free, but what else can I do to
ensure a good paint coat, one which will not flake or peel off. Should the
smooth surface be 'scuffed' up with a Scotch Brite pad or something similar?
Do I need to primer this plastic? Any special kind of paint to use?? Help!
:)

I am going to measure, cut, assembly, and glue together the 'poboy' intake
tubing this weekend. I thought it would be easier to paint it when
everything is together and 'glued' together with the PVC cement. This way, I
can also sand down any imperfections in the plastic the mold left.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6