Re: Painting Plastic 101

From: Hemikota@aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 18:09:13 EDT

In a message dated 9/2/00 12:50:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
grndak4x4@home.com writes:

<< Well after searching and calling nearly every plumbling supply store in my
area, I find no one carries black ABS sewer pipe. So I am stuck with white
PVC pipe. I do not want white PVC under my hood, thus I need to paint it. I
assume the surface has to be oil and dirt free, but what else can I do to
ensure a good paint coat, one which will not flake or peel off. Should the
smooth surface be 'scuffed' up with a Scotch Brite pad or something similar?
Do I need to primer this plastic >>

Kyle, yes you should primer the plastic. First scuff it up with a heavy
abrasive scuff pad, then get some wax and grease remover and clean it well. I
f you have a paint spray gun, you will need it for this, get some plastic
adhesive promoter (plastic primer), PPG makes it, Its DPX 801. Spray this on
with a gun and then youre ready to shoot the paint. The paint will stick and
wont chip or peel off.
Boog