Re: Bed Extenders - who makes them?

From: Michael Lohmeyer (mike@akhara.com)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 04:07:45 EDT

      I don't have my QC yet (ordered last week). But, I measured the QC
bed relative to my current truck. In my '90 Nissan's 6 foot bed, my bikes
(Kaw ZX9R, EX250 and dirt bikes) fit such that the rear wheel sits a couple
inches in front of the gap between the end of the bed and the tail gate. I
normally remove the tailgate and leave it off when I haul bikes.

      Measuring the QC, obviously, the tailgate must be left down, with the
rear wheel sitting on the tail gate. The rear wheel would sit on the tail
gate such that the entire rear wheel is forward of the top lip of the tail
gate (in the down position). From what I can tell, this is far enough
forward that a bed extender could be re-mounted and it would just touch the
rear wheel of the bike.

      Of course, the problem is, the bed extender must be re-mounted by
sliding it in from the rear. It doesn't work to use a bed extender that
re-attaches from the top because the bike is in the way.

      All of this is assuming the bike is mounted straight, not
angled. Mounting a heavy bike at an angle is not a very good idea, but
works fine with dirt bikes.

      The 1100 Maxim probably has a longer wheel base than my bikes but the
your 750 should be similar to the bikes I haul.

Mike