re:Subject: Re: MPI and low end grunt attn: Jon

From: Brett Forehand (brett4hand@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2000 - 00:24:32 EDT

>Brett,

> What article was this? I saw one recently pitting the M1 against the
Edelbrock RPM on a carb'd motor; is that the same article or was this a
different one? I'd be interested in reading that article to see what they
have to say, especially if it was the MPI on a Magnum motor.

Jon, unfortunately it wasn't a test on a Magnum. It was a 400 build up, and
they used two manifold/carb setups. One was with a Weiand action plus two
plane/Holley 750 cfm, and the other was with the Mopar M1 single
plane/Thermoquad. This was in the October issue of Mopar Muscle. Here's a
quote from the article:

"While we hit the targets we sought with our initial combination, we still
had the M-1 single plane intake/ThermoQuad combo to try. A few bolts later,
we had completed the swap, and loading up the 400 against the dyno,
shattering the myth that a single plane would cost power in the low end.
Torque was up to a peak of 441 lbs/ft at 4500 rpm. That's a gain of 28.5
lbs/ft, peaking 400 rpm lower!"

Needless to say, the "shattering the myth" part is what really caught my
attention. I know you guys have been running MPI's for a good while with
great results. And what you say about Bob Tom's truck goes right along with
their dyno results, too. What magazine had the Edelbrock test?

I would love to put an MPI on my Dak along with a nice new hopped up
throttle body. All it takes is money!

Brett Forehand
'94 Dakota CC Sport