Diff Goin south....

From: NVMYDakota@aol.com
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 00:29:44 EDT

No, I am not lowerin my Dakota, or gettin smaller wheels,BUT I might be
gettina new rear Differential!!!

I ahve been noticing a CLUNK when I shift into Reverse, ever since I ahd the
truck, but it has been gettin louder and louder, so Finally I take it to a
mechanic(friend so it's free) and he get's under and tell em to shift it
around (through P R N and D) whenever the driveshaft changes direction, the
yoke ont he front of the DIFF spins about 3/4of a turn, then engages! Ah
CRAP!! he says.... I say I don't even wanna know, he tells me not to go far
from home with it like it is now... I ask why, well anyways, it turn out he
thinks my diff gears are going dead... So I am thinkin upgrade time, get
some 3.55 adn a Detriot Locker(if they make it) or atleast some sort of beefy
aftermarket locker...

So could someone tell me what to lookfor if I open the diff up(just take off
cover) and also who/what I should get and where to get it from, I'll prolly
just ahve him get the parts, adn put it in, be lazy and poor afterwards....

Greg