Re: RE: O2 Sensors

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 08:58:09 EDT

At 11:00 AM 9/6/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Could anyone tell me how often the O2 sensors should be changed

Generally, they should be effective to 50,000 mi. and up, depending
on condition of the engine and type of driving. I've read that
they do not often fail by themselves that often but will become
lazy in their response times. Most often, failure results from
introducing non-O2 friendly contaminants into the exhaust system
(e.g. leaded gas, O2 non-compliant sealant materials, etc.)

>and do most of the aftermarket cat back systems come with the O2
>sensor holes already drilled in them?

The forward O2 sensor will be found on the exhaust (header) manifold
pipes or on the collector ... the aft O2 sensor is either found on
the cat or just after the cat so aftermarket cat systems will
generally not have them there.

>Should I stick with the stock Dodge sensors or ???. Thanx Guys Jay

Tough question. While O2 manufacturers have taken steps to standardized
them, auto. makers do use variations in electrical inputs especially
with the heated ones which the Dakotas use. Unless you know what
and how the specs. are used by the Dakotas, it is probably safer to
use the OE Dodge sensors.

Hope this helps.

Bob