RE: Launching a 5 speed...

From: Barret, Matt (MATT_BARRET@earthtech.com)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 09:14:55 EDT

Jeff, You've got the right idea, about 1000-1300 rpm launch is the best your
gonna do with the radials. Short times should be around 2.08 to 2.2 range. I
usually run about 30 psi in the Firestones. Best bang for the buck will be
slicks. I went with the Hoosier slicks, 28"X 11.5" mounted on factory 15"X8"
wheels. You can launch at 3000-3500 and short times are in the low 1.9's,
when the track conditions are good! You've got 3.55 gears, but your tire is
an inch shorter(27") than stock (28") so you really have a 3.68 gear. Is
this an open rear, or LSD???
Your truck is capable of running around 15.0 +- .1 and speed around 91 or
92 (w/radials)
I have around 100 runs on mine right now and the best shift rpm seems to be
5500 rpms (by the factory tach). 3rd gear is the most difficult shift, what
I normally do is practice shifting in the staging lanes, with the engine
turned OFF, go through the gears as much as possible, do not look down, get
a good feel for were 3rd is looking straight ahead, this helps me alot, I've
missed 3rd twice in 100 runs! The smell of burning clutch is still lingering
I think! hee hee :)
Don't worry about cutting a good light for now, just concentrate on staging
the truck, getting the truck completely stopped at the starting line,
holding the engine at the desired rpm, and mastering the 5 spd shifting.
believe me, You CAN be consistent with a 5spd! Just like anything else, it
takes practice.

Matt--VA--Y2K-HEMI `00 Sport Plus RC
4.7L 5spd. 9 1/4 3.92 LSD, Homemade air intake,
T-Bars, Spring clamps, Mobil 1,Hoosiers
3" Flowmaster cat-back, Bosch +4's
14.48 @ 92.40 MPH
209.9 RWHP/285 RWTQ
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ