RE: Plastic??? We don't need no stinking plastic!!!!

From: Stlaurent Mr Steven (STLAURENTS@mctssa.usmc.mil)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 14:47:11 EDT

Another product to sell?

Steven St.Laurent
Test Engineer
Test Branch, GSD, MCTSSA
MARCORSYSCOM, USMC
760-725-2506 (DSN 365-2506)
Work:mailto:stlaurents@mctssa.usmc.mil
Home:mailto:saint1958@home.com

 -----Original Message-----
From: Mr. Plow [mailto:adam_is_mr_plow@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2000 11:19 AM
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
Subject: DML: Plastic??? We don't need no stinking plastic!!!!

Ok, so anyone that was at the DML BBQ knows that the plastic skid plates
offered for the 2000 model Daks "seem" pretty sturdy. But i managed to
crack mine pretty good at the BBQ.
And a couple weeks ago, i hit the mud pretty good with 3 Jeeps. And the
centre plate snapped right in half, and was sorta hanging by the front
bolts. So, time for new skid plates.

Go to the dealership and get some on order. Well, $236 (Canadian) later
i've got two nice and shiny pieces of crappy plastic again.
So i know a guy, who's brother knows a guy, yadda yadda.......
Go get a custom 1/4" steel plate bolted up to the existing holes from the
previous skid plates. It's a lot heavier than i thought it would have been.
To test it out, i drove over a pile of logs that were a little larger
diameter than say a tellephone pole. I got a little hung up at the top, was

teetering with all the weight right on the plate. Finally got over after i
kept rocking the truck back and forth (or up and down depending on your
perspective). hehe
Anyways, i can get the measurements for anyone with a 2000 CC that wants
something waaay sturdier than the plastic plates.
I used a 7'x2' 1/4" plate that had to be bended twice to come up into the
area near the radiator cradle. We chose not to bolt it to the cradle so
that it could flex, and not ram the rad through my hood. Definitely the way

to do it. :)

Oh, and the guy gave me a deal on the install--100 bucks flat.
And the plate steel only cost me $90.
So total, it's $190 for a steel plate that is way better than the $236
pieces of plastic.

And as some of you may know, i'm planning on trading in my current CC for a
Quad in (hopefully) a year or so. What i'm going to do is put the new
plastic plates back on, so when i trade in the truck, it looks all nice
underneath. And i'll just re-mount the metal plate to the new truck, making

the appropriate adjustments.

Ok, tired of typing now,

The Adam Blaster