Re: Re: 4.7 Tq vs 5.9 R/T

From: Steven T. Ekstrand (cyberlaw@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 16:37:14 EDT

SOHC engines have 1 camshaft over each cylinder head. A V8 would thus have
two cams total. An I4, like the mopar 2.2L's would only have one.

DOHC engines have two cams over each cylinder head. Usually these engines
have four valves per cylinder. One cam runs the exhaust valves for one
bank and one cam runs the intake for one bank. Four cams total. If the
hot rodding world ever turned to DOHC V8's, I guess I'd have to buy stock
in Crane....

-STE