Questions about drag racing Dakota.

From: Jason Proffitt (jason@proffittracing.com)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 21:24:07 EDT

Hello,

I am planning on racing my Dakota this weekend and had a couple questions.

First, should I reset the computer at the track, or possibly like 1 day
before going to the track. I normally drive pretty mellow, with lots of
highway driving so I think the computer may think I am a "wimpy driver".
Would reseting the computer get me a quicker time due to the computer
relearning my driving style, or is it a nominal difference?

Also, my Dakota is completely stock. I was wondering if anyone has
completely removed their paper air filter from the box and then run, as this
would remove the restriction of the air filter. I have seen people do this
at the track, but worried about dirt, etc getting into the engine.

One last thing, I assume I should run with overdrive off, right? Any tips
on a launching technique, it is a 00 CC 4.7L Auto with 3.92 limited slip.
Any guesses on times it should run?

Thanks in advance,
Jason