Re: Amsoil By-Pass oil Filter setup...da bomb?

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 15:06:47 EDT

> I just picked up some Amsoil ATF last nite from a local Amsoil rep, and we
> got to talking about how to extend the life of an engine for a long time,
> which is why I've always used synthetics and change the oil religiously.
He
> proceeded to show me his old ranger pickup which had about 250,000 (give
or
> take) miles on it. He popped the hood and pulled out the oil dipstick, and
> explained that the oil in the truck hadn't been changed for over 10,000
> miles. The oil on the stick was clean and golden, like it was just poured
> into the crankcase...I was floored. He then showed me how he does it, with
an
> Amsoil by-pass filter kit, a tube leading to and from a secondary filter
that
> only has to be changed every 25,000 miles, but removes ultra-fine
particles
> and water the primary filter can't.
>
> So anyways I was dully impressed. The kit is about 190.00 but he said
> synthetic oil changes can be done at much, MUCH longer intervals
(6000-7500
> miles minimum, up to 25,000) since the oil is kept cleaner longer.
>
> So...anyone using this kit or heard anything about it? Apparently it does
not
> rob power or efficiency since it runs only a small quantity through the
> bypass filter at a time, and much slower than the primary filter...

Full info on this kit at:
http://www.amsoil.com/products/bf.html
So the breakdown then:
-The kit= $161 through Amsoil
-4 quarts Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30($7.95 each)= $31.80

Depending on ther filter used, the replacement oil filter will cost
$26.25-$31.95. Amsoil does claim that the normal service life is 25,000
miles, or 1 year for this oil filter. Pretty amazing.
So initial cost will be right around $200. I change my oil and filter
religiously every 3,000 miles. I have used Castrol 10W-30 since I bought the
truck, along with Phram's PH16 oil filter. My oil changing technique is to
pull the drain plug and oil filter and let the oil drain out. I then pour 1
quart down each valve cover and let this fresh oil drain through, hopefully
flushing out any metal particles which have accumulated in the engine and in
the pan. So I really use 6 quarts of oil when doing an oil change.
Total cost is typically around $8-$9 per oil change. I mean dont get me
wrong, I love Amsoil products, and currently use their fluids in my tcase,
front diff, and rear diff. I also regularly use their PI Gas
Additive/Cleaner. I just would rather have the 3,000 mile oil drain
intervals so I can get under my truck and inspect things to make sure
everything is good and nothing is bent, broke, loose, or leaking. I would be
leary of only being under my truck looking around once a year, or every
25,000 miles. That is just me though. For my 20 minute oil changes, and low
oil change prices, it is just peace of mind knowing things are running and
looking good under my truck.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6