Re: 92 Dakota that won't start

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 10:53:49 EDT

> > My friend has a 92 Dakota that won't start..... The truck does not flash
the
> > check engine light so I can't get any codes... I don't hear the fuel
pump
> > either... It does crank.....but no start?????? Anyone know why no check
> > engine light?

Tim,
When my fuel pump dies(happened 3 times now), the check engine light never
came on. The dealer even had a hard time diagnosing this problem, until they
hooked up an onboard puter and drove it for a week. The fuel pump also wont
throw a fault code when it dies, in my experiences atleast. Check for fuel
pressure on the relief valve in the engine bay when cranking the engine.
Also, take the gas cap off and try to hear a whine/hum, or lay under the gas
tank and try to listen. I can hear my truck's fuel pump whining away
standing about 2 feet from the truck. Also, look at the relay box udner the
hood, possible a relay or fuse blew/shorted out.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6