RE: First Pictures of Gen I Lift in Progress.

From: Walter Felix (walt_felix@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 12:10:46 EDT

5 lug on 4½". I think that changed in 91 when the nose rounded off. It
shouldn't be a ton of effort to convert. On the front, the hub and bearing
and brake rotor assemblies obviously change because of the change in the
number of lugs, but the knuckle assemble that they are bolted onto was the
same part number 87-96. I don't know if the size of the CV shaft changed
but I would say chances are they are the same. Worse case, you may need to
change the CV axles or at least change the outer joints. The rear would be a
matter of changing the axle shafts. You can either get a set from a Gen I
Dak or have a set made by Strange or someone like them.

As far as modifying the brackets, earlier, when I had the torsion bars
cranked, I would have to change the boots every couple of years because of
the additional CV angle. I had the differential drop brackets in the lift
kit remade by a welding and fabrication shop to drop the diff down an
additional inch and tilt the back of it up slightly. This should allow me to
crank the torsion bars up some while maintaining correct CV joint and pinion
angles. I also had to have an additional reinforcement bracket made for one
of the cross members. Once the truck is back together, it still has to go
to the exhaust shop to have the y-pipe remade. It also doesn't clear the
front drive shaft.

Rim backspacing is still in question, The kit requires a max spacing of 4¼".
  The rims are available in 3¾" My buddy has a similar set on a Ranger so
I'm going to test fit prior to ordering a set.

Walt Felix
88½ Dakota Sport 4x4, 2000 Ram 1500 QuadCab Sport 4x4 and a 67 Barracuda
Coupe 340/4Speed
Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.COM
http://WWW.Walt-n-Ingrid.COM
http://WWW.MoparsinMotion.COM