RE: Why I don't like PVC tubes on my intake

From: mark janke (sftvboy@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 12:44:58 EDT

Actually I did read this when you first posted it but
bit my tongue on responding to it. But as long as you
are bringing it up again I'll throw my 2 cents in...

I use a PVC tube for my intake and if my truck is ever
involved in an accident and I'm hit with such a great
force as to cause a PVC tube to shatter on impact I
would tend to think I have larger problems than
plastic in my intake, because my whole truck would be
totaled at this point. My tube is not rigidly
connected to the fenders, it's coupled by the rubber
tube going to the air hat. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm no
physics expert but I think the insurance company would
be buying me a new truck anyway.

This a repost that I buried in another thread and saw
no response. I think it might be interesting to some
of you so I gave it its own subject.

There is one serious thing to consider when using PVC
fittings and pipe on the intake. If it shatters in an
accident pieces can easily get sucked into the intake
and melt in your heads and on your cylinder walls and
rings causing instant friction.
Something to think about as this would likely require
a rebuild. An ABS plastic would be much better (like
stock air box etc) doesn't shatter nearly as easily
(abs = antiballistic something; i.e. shock resistant).
 No idea where you'd get it in the shape
you want though. I think I will go with the metal
then insulate it.

Marty