Re: DML Digest V4 #2535

From: Walter Felix (walt_felix@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 12:27:57 EDT

The front end held up very well considering how I have driven the truck and
the first owner plowed with it. I did discover it still had original ball
joints on the right side. I had replaced the left after I broke the torsion
bar while out wheeling but never did the right. I was usually pretty
diligent about greasing the front end and although worn, everything was in
OK shape. I only decided to replace the steering box because there was a
little play in the front end and I wanted to rule out everything while I had
the truck apart. It probably didn't need to be changed. Most of the parts
that are coming off the truck are going to be used on stuff around Phil's
farm.

The front diffs on the early Daks are vacuum actuated.

I does help to have the right tools. I'm doing this up at my Buddy's farm
where he has a big compressor, air tools and various welding equipment. His
brother is a welder by profession and he is taking care of the welding and
fabrication that is required.

Walt Felix
88½ Dakota Sport 4x4, 2000 Ram 1500 QuadCab Sport 4x4 and a 67 Barracuda
Coupe 340/4Speed
Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.COM
http://WWW.Walt-n-Ingrid.COM
http://WWW.MoparsinMotion.COM