Re: Re: Why the stock 4.7 air hat is special

From: Jon Smith (jon@fast4x4.net)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 22:12:44 EDT

yes I do have a "po boy" intake on my truck, also have run a 14x3" on my
truck. Do I worry about the PVC shattering in a wreck? nope, if I get in a
wreck bad enough to shatter my PVC, sending shrapnel down the manifold I'm
going to be more worried about me and my truck. I seriously doubt the tube
would shatter as you suggest unless I had it bolted to the frame or fenders.

but hey, if you wanna spend hours designing and fabricating a solenoid
operated telescoping intake to pick up a couple of hp loss, more power to ya
and good luck with your project.
_______________________
   Jon Smith--Raleigh, NC
        jon@fast4x4.net
       www.fast4x4.net

> Accoustics is a high and arcane science. I'd rather start with the stock
> and make it variable as I imagine quite a bit of math went into that air
> hat. But do what you want. Not every shape of a given volume will
resonate
> well. But the accoustical math for resonating columns of air, or tubes,
is
> out there. Like for pipe organs etc. I've considered before a
telescoping
> intake tube leading to a K&N. The intake would shorten up as rpms rose.
My