Re: Re: Why the stock 4.7 air hat is special

From: Marty Galyean (mgalyean@acm.org)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 01:51:22 EDT

I knew a guy on the 240z list who toasted his engine via PVC shards. The front
end was crushed in and took the tube with it. I don't think it was bolted to
the frame, but if it was a typical install, it was likely moored to sheet under
the hood somewhere. Those cars are much lower also and more crunchable. It
was a shame since he only had liability insurance. I imagine you have full
coverage so its not as much an issue as an accident bad enough to shatter the
tube would likely be a total anyway. Cripes, I was only trying to let you guys
know what the situation was. I actually thought it might be of interest.

As for the intake tuning, my original point was that many people had commented
how they seemed to lose low end with the tubes. I was suggesting why. I
guess the truth, or at least the pursuit of it, hurts some people or
something.

As I spelled out in the previous post, I don't intend on building the
telescoping tube, I will leave that to factory engineers in 2035 or whatever.
I only mentioned that I was considering adding 1/3 lbs of scrap parts to the
existing air hat and see what happened and that seemed to bother some people.
Go figure. You guys are so wacky I just love ya to death.

Hey, I know!

Lets all r-e-l-a-x.........