Re: ATTN PREACHER - MINI DML FLAG

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@bigfoot.com)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 21:12:35 EDT

Tim,
        Preacher posted this back in March. Shamelessly copied & pasted.

The flag???

Ok folks, I could get them for you (or more properly, MAKE them for you)
but
it would cost more than most would want to pay... so here is how you can
make your own :-)

I downloaded the sticker graphics from the DML home page, resampled the
graphics to twice the original size and cleaned them up a bit (they get
pixelized at that resolution).
Then I colored them in and printed them onto T-Shirt transfers made by
Avery
(product #3275) for use with computer injets. (NOT LASER PRINTERS)
I went to my local sporting good store and got an auto window flag like
those used by sports fan and (out here anyway) Nascar fans. I discarded
the
team flag....
I then went to my local Wallyworld... er... WalMart and got a product
called
a "Infant feeding mat". It's basically 2 12"x12" sheets of cotton cloth
with
a thin layer of plastic imbedded to make it water proof. I used those
because A) You need cotton for the transfer B) I wanted the extra
stiffness
so the flag would be displayed properly. C) If you use thin cloth, the
graphics on the reers side will show through and ruin the effect.
Also from Wallyworld, get a packae of "Hem tape" from the fabric
section.
This is heat activated 2 sided tape used for a quick hem on clothing.
I folded the cloth over the flag pole to determine where the 2-sided
tape
would go (creating a loop where the flag pole would go), then used an
iron
to heat the tape and make the fabric stay. I then sewed that "loop" for
extra strength (The tape alone would not hold it in any wind, it's not
that
strong)
I ironed on the new decals I had made, slid it onto the pole and just
before
I arrived at the track, mounted the flag pole on my rear windwing.

For pictures of the finished flag, go to my VA Meet page :
http://www.bastaards.org/dak5.htm
It's in the 3rd row of General pictures.

Sounds harder than it really is.... Honest!

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/ --- andylevy@bigfoot.com ------------------------------------------------------------- "We like AMD. The enemy of our enemy is our friend." --- Jonathan Schwartz Sun senior vice president -------------------------------------------------------------