Re: FYI - VA Emissions Test

From: bernd@texas.net
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 12:59:04 EDT

Just some background FYI:

Back in the late 80's, Edelbrock built up a Small Block Chevy (from a factory
configuration) with their "modified" parts and asked the BAR and EPA for
a "Comparison to factory" on the emissions test (they accepted). It was then
brought down to a local State Smog Test facility where there was another
vehicle (same make/model/year) in factory form and they were both tested. The
Edelbrock model ran much cleaner than the factory emissions vehicle so they
proved that modified parts actually do allow an engine to run "more efficient"
and cleaner. This is what started the 50-State and CARB approvals. If some of
you can remember back to the mid-late 80's, most...if not all aftermarket parts
had the "For Offroad Use Only" label on them...imcluding MSD and K&N.

$0.02

- Bernd