Re: Horrible Clunking Noise on 93 2wd PLEASE HELP!

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 11:37:28 EDT

> It's latest present is a funyn clunking noise, adn clunk it does, it
ottally
> depends on the situation, but it seems like whener thetranny shifts, I
change
> rates of acceleration, or take a turn my truck clunks funny. I belive the
> turning is jsut a symtom of the previous seeing as how I slow through most
> turns... Damnit.
>
> I can't find any ovbioius problems, no leaks tranyn fluid is all good, the
> only thing I can think of is maybe somhow the rear differential (which is
> dying) is just making itself heard??? I does realy really soudn like it's
> commin from the right front wheel, so I took it all apart, washed it down
> REALLY good with foammy engine bright followed by brake cleaner (to
removve
> residue) I coudl see absolutly nothing wrong DAMNIT!

Greg,
First I would check your engine mounts. You should be able to visually
inspect these. Otherwise, just pop the hood and rev the engine and check to
see it there is excessive movement in the engine. Then I would check your
transmission mount. I had a cluck for 6+ months, and couldnt find where it
was coming from. It turned out to be a broken tranny mount, which I replaced
for $45 and it only took an hour. I would hear this clunk upon accelerating
from a stop, or even when the tranny changed gears. You though that you are
experiencing this clunk also when your turn? Hmmm, I dont think I ever did,
only when turning and then accelerating would I hear the noise. The clunking
noise could also be from loose or worn out ujoint in the driveshaft(s), worn
splines causing or slipping sleeve yoke(s) in the driveline. Hope this
helps.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6