Re: RE: Latest software update for your PCM

From: W. Jack Hilton III (HEMI@charter.net)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 18:46:08 EDT

Here's the scenario:

The typical customer goes to their Dodge dealership complaining that their
truck is pinging or has some other driveability problem, or maybe nothing
at all (some dealers do this as routine whenever a vehicle is in for
anything). The first thing they want to do is re-flash the computer with
the latest software release from Mopar to try and cure the problem. In
their minds, this is the easiest and fastest way to solve the immediate
problem of the truck pinging, etc. The average guy driving his truck will
not notice the performance difference as he just has the truck for looks.
No, you don't want a 4 degree timing retard at all, that is why everyone is
talking about it.
Mopar will periodically release a new program for a given vehicle to cure
past and current complaints.

> Another question, could some please explain to me what this
>"flash" is referring to, who does it, how is it done, and why? Why would
>you want a 4 degree timing retard? Any info would be greatly appreciated as
>I'm relatively new to "computer controlled vehicles".
>
>Thanks
>Jay

W. Jack Hilton III

Newnan , GA