RE: MSD Problems - need help fast

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@home.com)
Date: Sat Sep 23 2000 - 02:35:59 EDT

The big red should go to battery + which is what it looks like you have.
The big black wire should go to battery -. I don't know about just using a
ground. I connected these two wires to the wires in the junction box next
to the battery where the battery cables connect.

I don't know what you're talking about in terms of green/other color wire.
I am going to assume you're talking about your coil + wire which is
green/orange. This is one of the wires you should have cut. One end should
still be connected to the coil and the other end goes to your ignition
switch on your steering wheel (12-volt switched). The other coil wire
(coil -) is black/gray. It should also be cut. One end goes to the coil.
The other end goes to your distributor. Your MSD unit should have the
following four 16-18 gauge wires on it:

1) red
2) white
3) black
4) orange

1) The red wire should be connected to the green/orange wire that is NOT
connected to the coil. This wire is headed to your ignition switch in your
steering column.

2) The white wire should be connected to the black/gray wire that is NOT
connected to your coil. This sire is headed toward your distributor.

3) The black wire should be connected to the black/gray wire that IS
connected to your coil (coil -).

4) The orange wire should be connected to the green/orange wire that IS
connected to your coil (coil +).

The MAG pickup wires should NOT be used.

If you've done all this and are still not getting any spark it is possible
you have a defective MSD unit. You will need to contact MSD.

HTH,
Ron
00 SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD
For modifications see my DML Profile