Re: Diff/Axle Vent Tube Upgrades

From: Jason Bleazard (drazaelb@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Sep 23 2000 - 20:46:39 EDT

--- Kyle Kozubal <grndak4x4@home.com> wrote:

> Jason,
> Since you lengthened both of them, where did you run them to??

I put the vent caps in the air space in the fenders, between the body
panels. I figured they would be better protected from splashes
there.

The front one I pulled up inside the right fender, since the tube
already was on that side of the truck. The rear one I brought up the
driver's side frame rail and put in the left fender. I thought about
trying to take it across to the right side, but didn't want it to get
tangled in anything.

If it ever stops raining I'll get out there with the digital camera
and grab a couple of pics if you think that would help.

> Those hose you are using, is it more of a thick fuel hose
> type tubing or more like a thinner more flexible silicon tubing?

It's a fuel hose. It was the closest they had to the stock hose. I
would imagine anything would work that had the same inside diameter
and is thick enough that you wouldn't wear a hole through it. The
vent is just there to equalize barometric pressure, there isn't a lot
of air moving through it.

The other sick idea I've had for these things involves making up a
snorkel for the air intake. I figure I'd put on the stock air hat
and seal up the air intake tube. Then I'd get some PVC and run a
snorkel through the fender and up so that it pulls air in from around
the top of the windshield. There are a couple of trucks in our 4x4
club that have done this, and it works quite well for them.

You can see one being put to use at:
http://www.chris.usethis.com/4x4/2000-swift-rapids-scout/04-brad.jpg

Anyway, if I ever get around to doing something like that, I was
thinking of drilling a couple of holes in the snorkel and putting the
axle vent tubes in there, then sealing around them. That way, they'd
vent into the snorkel. If that gets water in *that*, I've got
serious problems :-). With the stock air hat, the vents would be on
the outside of the filter, so there's no problem with it being in the
air intake.

Too many sick ideas, too little money...

=====
Linux: Because a 486 is a terrible thing to waste.