Diff/Axle Vent Tube Upgrades

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 15:14:05 EDT

My brother and I had a late night of driving through the woods and trails
where I hunt(just doing some night scouting/shining for some bucks). I woke
up this morning and noticed a tube/line hanging from the front of my truck.
It turns out the be the differential/axle vent tube. How is this a vent tube
if there is a black cap on the end of both the front and rear vent lines??
Oh well. I noticed it's mounting location before and it simply was snapped
into a hole in the top passenger's side frame rail, using a plastic
'fitting'. I must have just caught the tube on something, and it just pulled
out of it's mount on the frame. It was still connected on the differential.
Well how convinient, cause now I want to upgrade my truck's front and rear
diff/axle vent tubes. I measured the front mounting location as well as the
rear loation. Front is about 25" and the rear is at 26". Now this is really
plenty of height, but I would like to run the rear tube all the way to the
firewall and run the front axle vent tube to the firewall also, and cap the
lines off with some type of filter setup mounted securely to the firewall.
Questions are:
-Are the stock vent tubes just tubes pushed over a metal tube or 'nipple' on
the differential? If so, I was just going to take the old ones off, use some
black RTV(to help seal it up) and push the new longer rubber tube over the
metal tube on the diff and secure it will a small hose clamp.
-Will there be ANY side effects to running the rear vent tube all the way to
the firewall? The stock vent tube is only about 2feet long and I wasnt sure
if it was this length for a set reason.

Not only will this be a cheap upgrade, but I will now have the vents at a
location alot taller than the stock height. I am just planning on using some
type of gas line, still unsure of the diameter needed though. The liner
should run me about $10, $1 for the 4 small hose clamps, and another $10
depending on the type of filter I am going to use.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6