RE: DML Digest V4 #2566

From: Stewart Ebrat (Stewart@atlasinc.org)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 08:46:08 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@BUFFNET.NET [mailto:owner-dakota-truck@BUFFNET.NET]
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2000 8:12 AM
To: dakota-truck-digest@buffnet4.buffnet.net
Subject: DML Digest V4 #2566
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 04:46:28 GMT
From: "Chuong Nguyen" <dester223@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: DML: intake manifold

This part worries me..

<<I also did not see the side gaskets so I did not change them I going out
tomorrow to but the kit I already have truck apart for it.

What do you mean you didn't install new SIDE gaskets? for the intake
manifold, where it bolts to the heads? There are 2 aluminum coated
something backed gaskets that are supposed to be there.

not installing new ones or not having them in there at ALL would pose a
great danger. 1) consider your cylinders full of coolant now. Maybe oil
too... 2) you'd have a SWEET hissssing sound when you try to start it..

The second thing is.

<<
I bypassed the MSD so that is not it can it be a lack of compression
because Hughes put in an extra shield for the hot oil.

The extra oil shield on the bottom isn't anything to be concerned about.
All it does is deflect oil that bounces off the lifters and stuff away from
the intake manifold (reducing the intake temperature) You shouldn't worry
about that thing.

As for why your truck won't start...

Check for a spark.
Check for fuel pressure (try that "tire valve looking thingie" on your fuel
rail)

Other than that. It's just the obvious... Vacuum line isn't hooked up to
the MAP sensor, and check your fuses. That's all, until you cna provide us
with some more info
- -Dester

PS. The only place I found intake manifold gaskets for my dakota were at a
dodge dealership. but mine is a 97 v6...

AND... have a torque wrench when tightening those intake manifold bolts.
They should be tightened down to a MAXIMUM of 12 ft/lbs. Use the new
stretch bolts that the dodge intake manifold set will provide.

Just wanted to see what the DML had to say.

Dear Chuong,

I did not replace the side gaskets the old ones were still there.

I drained the coolant so no coolant in cylinder maybe oil but engine never
started just cranked over.

I am going to Dodge for a new kit with the side gaskets and bolts.

Intake is now off.

Bye the way I have 1996 3.9 liter six I just noticed that harness connector
is like a melted but does go on but hard to get off. Could it be a bad
injector? These are the FMS ones 19lbs and also I have a stage 2 Jet I did
not disconnect it to see if that.

As to fuel pressure that is there I drain the pressure and then try to start
truck and then bleed it again pressure is back.

I checked map vacuum hose it is on and checked voltage for tps and it is ok.

Maybe I had a vacuum leak I will let everyone know to status I will also try
to put on old stock injectors.

Thanks for all the Help!!!!

Stew