Re: Dealer wants to flash PCM, can't tell me why

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 17:29:15 EDT

Hi, Jason

>Anyone out there have any idea what this might be? It's for the '95

I have the TSBs up to but, not all, of 1998.

The only one that I have that applies to your 3.9L and manual tranny
is TSB# 18-23-95. The problem involves cold start sag/hesitation and/or
exhaust backfire or pop.

Symptoms: One or both conditions may be exhibited.

Driving away after a cold startup, a sag/hesitation may be
experienced. At idle, a slight engine surge/rough idle may also be felt.
The condition may persist for up to one minute and be most prevalent on
cold starts at ambient of 60-80F.

An exhaust backfire or popping noise in the exhaust system may occur during
a closed throttle deceleration before the engine has reached normal operating
temperatures.

Correction: For '94 models, replacement (PN 4798341) of PCM. For '95 models,
flashing of the PCM with revised software (I'm not sure if the authorized
software update is PN 4669020).

Hope this helps.

Bob