Dealer wants to flash PCM, can't tell me why

From: Jason Bleazard (drazaelb@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 11:24:23 EDT

So I had our "5 star" dealer do a "performance inspection" over the
weekend. It's a fairly cheap service they offer (they make their
money on the secondary stuff they convince people to have done), and
I was curious to see what, if anything, they might find.

What a waste of time. They told me:
- I need a fuel injector flush (I've got a bottle of injector cleaner
behind the seat)

- I need a tune up (I think they always say this, I'm planning on
doing it anyway)

- I need a new PCM flash from Chrysler.

This last item was the interesting one. I asked, "why?"

"Because there's a new program for it," was what they told me.

"What's it change?"

"We don't know, it just came from Chrysler. The told us it's
'better'."

"I know there's a fix out there for pinging that retards the timing
by four degrees, is that what this is?"

"We've never heard of a pinging problem."

I really hate talking to service advisors, these guys don't know a
throttle body apart from a cupholder.

I told them that I didn't want it anywhere near my truck until they
could tell me what changes it made and why. Even if I don't fully
understand the engineering, I want to make sure they know what
they're doing before they're doing it. Especially since they wanted
to charge me $80 to do it.

Anyone out there have any idea what this might be? It's for the '95
(specs in my sig line).

Thanks.

=====
Linux: Because a 486 is a terrible thing to waste.