Re: Has anyone installed their own suspension?

From: Chuong Nguyen (dester223@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 22:26:40 EDT

The front coil springs should be a breeze.

Just a little walk through and what you might need.

tools:
ball joint seperator, hammer, couple needle nose pliers, basic assortment of
wrenches, some new cotter pins (CAN re-use old ones if cautious)

1) probably jack up the vehicle and take off the tire.

2) put a jack (hydraulic or w/e) under the lower control arm and adjust it
up until it is holding the arm and ball joints up a little...

3) with it properly lifted on JACK STANDS.... take the cotter pin out of
the upper ball joint and remove the top nut.

4) use the hammer and ball joint seperator and hammer that ball joint
fitting loose....

5) I believe you need to disconnect the shock inside the coil by the top nut
and bottom 10mm nuts...

6) slowly let down on the jack that is holding the a-arm up that should
relieve some tension on that coil spring and just watch out. it can just
suddenly pop out at you! but it didn't to me. just ease it down, once the
tension is off it. take it out of place and get the boot that's on top of
that spring, align it on the new spring and use some electrical tape to hold
it in it's correct position and reinstall the new coil.

(NOTE: to get hte coil out without haveing to TOTALLY remove the shock, just
let the shock drop down with the A-arm and you should have no trouble
positioning it where you don't have to remove it totally from the
suspension.)

Reverse the install and you should do the same to the otherside, unless
you're gonig for the fake hydro look....

Remember this is just from the top of my head, but it's basically how you
get it off and on. Fairly easy, I'd expect about 45 minutes a side and it
greatly helps if you have an impact gun lying around. Those ball joints
like to just spin in there freely if you don't use an impact to just twist
the retainers in there quick enough.

-Dester