Re: Cruise Control

From: durling@attglobal.net
Date: Tue Sep 26 2000 - 19:00:56 EDT

I put the factory cruise control on my '96. It comes in a kit you just have
to ask for it. My steering wheel is different than the '97's though but my
controls are still mounted on it. I would ask to see if there is a kit
availiable. If there is no cutting required (would be surprised) than it is
not that hard. You will need some deep well sockets for the bolts on the back
of the steering wheel that hold the airbag on. Of couorse, before you try to
do anything with it disconnect the battery for 30 minutes (airbags have a
large capacitor in them and can store alot of juice) and turn the ignition
key to make sure you have all of the juice out of the system. If the '97 kit
comes with a brake pedal sensor I wouldn't install it unless you have
problems with the brakelights. Mine came with one and it was the same exact
desing and part number that was already on it (could read it on the side).
Otherwise the rest of the kit just plugs into the wiring harness on your
truck. Almost forgot you will have to drill holes for the vacum actuator and
make sure you get a steering wheel puller kit. There is a clock spring that
sits behind the wheel itself that track the position of the wheel and lets
the electrical pass through it for the horn and the cruise control buttons.
It took me about 3 hrs. It sounds alot harder than it looks. If you take your
time and follow the direction included (yes, it should have them and they are
written pretty well) then it should be no problem.

Jeff Durling
'96 RC Sport