Re: 15 x 8 rims

From: Steven T. Ekstrand (cyberlaw@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 15:53:59 EDT

You have to have more information than the parts droids.

UNDERSTAND the problem! There are two listings for the same wheel!

As a replacement part in the standard parts catalog they are made out of
special unobtanium alloy and have a matching price. As an accessory part
they list for $160 and are often discounted up to 25%. The unobtanium
alloy is now cast aluminum, I guess. I looked up both alloys in the Mopar
Metalurgy guide and they have the same molecular composition. SAME PART!!!
DIFFERENT PRICES!!! SAME DEALER!!! It's actually marginally illegal! If
an insurance company found out that they paid $500 and the same part could
have been had same time same place same quantity for $125, then they might
have a case against the dealer for illegal price discrimination. It's
pretty easy to weasal out of these, but this is one of the worst
disparities I'm seen. And I can't find any of the normal weasal outs (Like
$500 a piece replacement or $160 a piece only when order as a set or 4).

The 15x8's come up on eBay alot as a set which wouldn't help somebody
looking for a spare. For a single 15x8 rim I'd check out the AAArims
place.
http://www.aaarims.com/cgi-bin/overstock/web_store.cgi
They have them in the overstock section for $115 a rim.