Re: Re: Synthetic ATF and Gear Oil

From: bernd@texas.net
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 15:56:25 EDT

You are correct with running Type-F in your older Mustang. However, the "F" in
Type-F stands for "Friction Modifier". Ford had realized that the standard ATF
(back then) wasn't working properly with their clutch packs (the clutches were
slipping due to the material used). So, Ford had a friction modifier added to
the fluid for their transmissions which cured the problem.

Now any old hot-rodder knows that Type-F (when put into just about any
automatic transmission) makes the clutch packs rather sticky and it shifts much
firmer. (There was also an article written about putting Type-F into 727 and
904 tranmissions by the past president of Mopar Alley...my old autoshop
boss/owner.) Youcan also read about this same thing in one of the more recent
Mopar Now magazines stating that using Type-F is the same as running the "Trick
Shift" fluid but saves you about a $1 per quart.

We used to put Type-F into TH350, TH400, 700R4, 727, and 904 transmissions with
great success. My wife's Jeep runs Type-F in her transmission (shifts nice and
firm - no shift kit either) as well as in a buddies R/T (also shifts nice and
firm with only a TV Cable modification).

- Bernd