Re: 24# or 19# injectors

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 16:10:59 EDT

Hi, Tom

>Ok, 93 Dakota V8, MP Computer, MP Camshaft, Thorley Headers,
>Gibson 3" exhaust, Jacobs Ignition, K&N, do I go with the FMS 24
>or 19 injectors, I want the most performance, but also tow with
>the truck.

My '97 have the above mods (or equivalent) and a little more but
with the stock ignition. In April, I tested the FMS 24s with both
the stock intake and the MPI intake manifolds, and with an MP computer
and a custom programmed computer which, in part, was calibrated for
30# injectors.

On all tests, I had the following results.

At part throttle ops, the scanner showed the computer(s) adjusting pulse
widths to get to stoich but that afr mixture stayed rich longer than lean.
On one trip to the track and back (about 80-90 miles) mainly at 50-60 mph,
I used approx. 1/2 tank of gas (larger tank). After driving about
10 minutes, the aft O2 sensor showed a constant rich (not good
for the life of the cat). Subjectively, the part throttle ops felt
awesome ... reminded me of running a mopar big block muscle car
with a wild cam.

Going to WOT from any part throttle position resulted in prolonged,
terrible bogging. Others on the DML who are running the 24s have
not reported this.

>Are any mods necessary to run the 24#? Surely someone has or has
>at least tried this with a 318 truck. Will I have problems with
>MP Computer and 24#'s? Thanks in advance Tom

>From my dyno figures, I have about 295 hp at the crank. My guess
is that if I had heavy duty head work done, I would be on the edge
of needing 24s. Typically, to get the most from larger injectors
and to ensure long term durability, the computer should be calibrated
for the injector sized that is used.

As you can see, I stayed with the 19s.

Hope this helps.

Bob. Ont, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC, 5.2L, 4x2, 3.92 SG, auto., 4265 lb.
PB: 14.737 @ 91.75 9.364 @ 72.95