Re: RE: MSD install help (kinda long)...

From: Grady Ogburn (jgo@uswest.net)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 03:11:06 EDT

> Whoa whoa whoa whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STOP
> STOP STOP

Easy Ron -- I stopped. Breathe in, breathe out. ;)

> The big red goes to POSITIVE....red is ALWAYS positive.
> The big black goes to NEGATIVE....black is ALWAYS negative.

That's exactly what I did -- did I say different? If I mistyped it,
sorry -- it has been a long and trying day. I *did* say that when my buddy
touched the *positive* cable to the battery post, it arced. The positive
(red) was tied down -- it was the negative (black) that arced. In which
case I think I connected the cables in the wrong order. Agreed?

Didn't do my battery post any favors, but would *that* by itself cause the
blown alternator fuse, or cook the ignition box?
> Me thinks you need a new MSD box (fried).

You're probably right, but from what Ed Halterman says, he had a similar
experience (MSD to Battery Negative wire cooking). Mebbe I cooked it, mebbe
it was destined to cook :)

I'll let everybody know how things turn out...

Grady Ogburn
'98 Sport CC 4x4
5.2l, 5 Speed
Mesa Headers & Cat
K&N FIPK, JET PCM
Gibson/MagnaFlow "FrankenPipe" Exhaust
Leer Topper

> Whoa whoa whoa whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STOP
> STOP STOP
>
> The big red goes to POSITIVE....red is ALWAYS positive.
> The big black goes to NEGATIVE....black is ALWAYS negative.
>
> Me thinks you need a new MSD box (fried).
>
> Ron
> 00 SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD
> For modifications see my DML Profile

Shut
> it down quick. The big black wire (MSD to Battery positive) was hotter
than
> HELL.
>
> Disconnected the big red (MSD to Battery Negative) wire from the hot post
in
> the fusebox,
> electric-taped the connector end to insulate it, and tied it off (I needed
> to drive home, and was going to go back to stock ignition). I left the
> negative wire attached. Reconnected the stock ignition and restarted
> everything just to be sure, and more smoke, from the same place on the MSD
> box. Shut it down quick again. The negative lead from the MSD box
SCORCHED
> my finger -- it was hot across its entire length. This is with the
positive
> lead from the MSD box completely isolated -- sealed in electric tape.
This
> is when we noticed that the 140amp alternator fuse was blown.
Disconnected