RE: Re: RE: Fuel pressure release valve (Bernd)

From: Jon Steiger (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 21:46:10 EDT

At 08:07 PM 9/30/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Clarification: That's on the '96 and up Dakota's. (Return Line)

   '94 and up... :-)

    The rationale behind removing the gas cap (and pressing in the flap) is
just to make sure there's no pressure in the tank. While the tank itself
won't usually be pressurized, changing environmental conditions could make
it a possibility (however slight). (Seal up a plastic 5 gallon gas can
some time, come back a while later, and chances are the sides will either
be sucked in or bloated out. Any time a volume is isolated from the
atmosphere, pressure differentials will be created.) Removing the cap
takes no time to speak of, so I take that extra step.

    I have released the fuel pressure a couple of ways, including running
the engine with the fuel pump deactivated (actually I don't think there was
even enough pressure to cause the engine to fully start), and despite that,
a decent amount of gas still came out of the fuel test port, so (in my
experience, anyway) running the engine until stall doesn't always remove
all of the pressure (hence the extra steps I mentioned).

YMMV

                                               -Jon-

   .--- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ---.
   | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
   | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
   `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'