Re: Re: I think my serpentine belt is cracking

From: Marty Galyean (mgalyean@acm.org)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 10:35:17 EDT

I've considered carrying a spare belt in the truck. Its incredibly unlikely
that it will fail, but if it does you are dead in the water, and for later
model vehicles you may end up waiting a few days of your vacation out in the
middle of nowhere for it to come in on order. Maybe the '00 4.7 belt is
more prevalent now but when I went cross country in 12/99 I asked a couple
of dealers en route if they carried them and all would have to order!

I wondered if the '99 Jeep GC 4.7 belt would fit?

Still, carrying a spare belt will get you back on the road quicker than
anything and if you know you will need it eventually, what's the harm?

What has stopped me from getting a spare to date is that I keep thinking
that I might get an underdrive crank pulley and don't want to end up with
the wrong size spare.