Broke something?!?!?!?!

From: DAK4JLB@aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 22:30:02 EDT

I was driving down the interstate today and came to my exit. When I got off
the exit I came to a red light where it was 2 lanes but in the next 100 feet
or so my lane ended. Well, I was lined up next to a little ricer and I
noticed that he was planning on blocking me from getting in front at the lane
merge so I prepare myself. My check engine light had just come on a few miles
back but everything was running fine, and it has come on a few times in the
past do to the Tstat, so I didn't really worry about it and I had an
appointment to get her checked out in the morning, good thing. The light
turns green so we both nail it, I leap like 5 cars instantly, but as soon as
I do, I hear a pop of some sort and she starts vibrating violently. Once I
got out of low speed it was fine. All the actions made it seem like the spark
plug blew out of the head, that has happened to a friend of mine and the
symptoms were very close. I pulled over on a side road but could see nothing
that appeared to be wrong. I manually revved her up using the cable but heard
nothing, like it was a back fire and then everything was fine. The whole way
home from 0-45 or so it was really rough, shaking and all but after that fine
but I could hear a plopping sound coming out of the exhaust. Any ideas?? She
goes in the shop tomorrow to get it checked out and to fix the recall on the
brake lines, the service guy told me he had no idea but they would fix it
ASAP. When I was accelerating, the check engine light would flash like crazy
but once speed leveled out it would just stay solid. On the brighter side,
even though I broke something, the little ricer still couldn't keep up.

Zeus