Re: FW: Band-It Magnet for Oil Filter

From: Marty Galyean (mgalyean@acm.org)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 22:34:12 EDT

But seriously, is a loosely connected clump that will likely fall apart once it
gets back into the flow any worse than those particles roaming around constantly?
If you are worried about that, you just need a bigger magnet that could hold a rod
end if it had to :-) Slap a mongo one from an old PA speaker onto the oil pan
next to the drain plug. It will stay. Remove it prior to drainage. Why not
surround the drain hole with big old speaker magnets. I had one on the oil drain
plate of my baja and it stayed there until I took it off. It survived many off
road adventures. The drain plate on a VW flat 4 is pretty heavy steel but I don't
think its any heavier than a Dodge oil pan.

As for aluminum; its softer and less damaging if that offers any peace of mind.
Its the steel thats critical to catch.