Re: FW: Band-It Magnet for Oil Filter

From: Michael Kuriger (michael@isuzu-mods.com)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 19:15:15 EDT

Other experts say that a magnetic oil drain plug can capture a bunch of
particles, and than release them as a "clump" causing more troubles for your oil
system...

I believe your engine success is due to proper maintenence. Particles that get
through an oil filter are too small to harm the engine anyway.

A friend of mine just pulled his motor apart to find the main bearings had
melted! luckilly his crank had been heat treated, hardened, etc... so a simple
polish should clean it up. We still haven't figured out what caused the oil
starvation. Rods looked good, pistons were good too.

One good thing about a magnetic oil plug is if you DO see chunks on it you know
right away it's time to pull the motor apart and have a peek inside. The
magnetic oil filter thing is a joke IMO.

Laters!!

--
-=Mike Kuriger
1991 Isuzu Impulse RS 1.8