Re: RE: Re: RE: MULTI-SPEED AUTO???

From: Steven T. Ekstrand (cyberlaw@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 15:28:34 EDT

| You can run it in the manual mode up to the third band. No rev limiter
but
| better response time.
| -------------------------------------------
| Steven St.Laurent

Steven-

Can you explain what you mean here? As you know I race my Dak, I manually
shift on the autocrosses so I can have more handling control and the
benefit of engine braking when needed. When the gearing is wrong, I often
let it hit the rev limiter in first gear when shifting would occur just as
entering a turn. When holding it down in first or second the rev limiter
is still there at 6000 rpm. I think what you mean is it doesn't shift
early. WOT shifts in auto mode are at what? Close to 5500?

I not sure about the response time. I didn't notice any difference in
quarter times between auto and manual modes of shifting. You can get a
little more rpm out of shifting manually, but this did not translate into a
noticable difference in ET's. In an autocross, an extra 500 rpm is crucial
in allowing you to stay in the first gear through low speed corners. So I
shift here. But at the drags, I have let the auto do it (with O/D off of
course).

I'd be interested in what your observations are as to whats the best
technique. I frankly haven't experimented that much in straight line
performance. My old drag racing friends would never believe that
statement! Sorry dad, I'm hooked on twisties.

-STE